Welcome to the Meadow!
The Meadow is a Designated Specialist Provision (DSP) for children with a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and caters for up to 10 children.
It has a specialist teacher who runs the provision alongside trained support staff.
The Meadow provides daily support for children with a DSP place as well as providing whole school support for children with Autism with a full time Mainstream placement. The Meadow provides intervention groups for children with Autism which includes Lego Therapy, Cooking sessions, Social Skills and communication Groups, sensory circuits, Speech therapy, bucket, weekly offsite learning and life skills groups.
Children spend time in both the Meadow and time in their linked mainstream class.
The provision includes:
- A dedicated classroom equipped with appropriate resources and providing specialist support for up to 10 children in a small group.
- An appropriate staff to pupil ratio.
- Other professionals including: Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychologist.
- Opportunities for the children to be integrated into their mainstream class.
- A commitment to training all school staff in the needs and education of children with ASD.
- A multi-sensory room
- Outdoor trampoline
- Sensory circuit area
· The use of visual cues, personal timetables, personalised reward charts and now/next boards
· An inclusive communication environment, including PECS (Picture Exchange Communication System), verbal speech, visuals, ASL boards and Makaton
“Our son Khalid joined the DSP unit at Foxfield Primary School last September. Despite the difficult circumstances due to the pandemic, Miss Barnes and her team have been brilliant at supporting Khalid settle smoothly into Meadow Class. Since then, Khalid has been amazing us with all the progress he is making socially and academically. We were very pleased to see him greet school staff using their names. How wonderful it is to listen to him talking about his day at school and expressing his enjoyment in Meadow class! Furthermore, we feel truly grateful for the team's efforts in helping Khalid join the breakfast and afterschool clubs which we feel reflect the inclusive atmosphere of the school. We feel quite fortunate that our son attends the DSP at Foxfield and we believe he'll continue to thrive and be supported to reach his full potential.
“Jackson loves the unit, he has come on so far since attending.
Miss Barnes, he really adores and speaks highly of.
As a parent I know his in good hands and has amazing support”
“The meadow class is good, and it is fun. All the children are nice, and so are the teachers. I like doing Maths in Meadow class. I also like going on the trampoline and drawing in Art. I like to see my teachers and friends. I like the lessons, maths is my favourite, of course. I like having snack and playing outside with my friends.” (Year 3 student)
“I like to be in the Meadow class, it is really cool. I like Maths. I love being on the trampoline with my friends. My teachers play football with me at playtime. I enjoy relaxation in the sensory room” (Year 4 student)
“I like playing Udo in the Meadow, I also like playing outside with my friends on the trampoline. I like going on school trips to Tesco to buy cucumber and diet food” (Year 5 student)